Address: Str. Poarta Şchei
The access into „Brasov’s Stronghold” from the Romanian neighbourhood of Schei used to occur in the Middle Ages through the Upper Gate, initially also called Corpus Christi, after the square at the level of which it was erected. From the old fastened assembly only the Ecaterina’s Tower is still conserved nowadays, being a representative edifice for the Renaissance architecture at Brasov, built up in 1559 following the initiative of the mayor judge Johannes Benkner. The other fortifications of the complex, protected in the epoch by water ditches and ponds, have been dismantled in 1827, when started the construction of The Schei Gate, considered necessary to ensure the fluidisation of the traffic between Brasov’s Stronghold and the „Upper Suburb”. The construction in neoclassic style, endowed with central practicable access, bordered by pedestrian passages with semicircular apertures, has been accomplished in 1828 by the mason artisan Joseph Jani, financed by the Romanian merchants. Subsequently, both the interlocked walls of the south-eastern side of Brasov’s Stronghold, between the Blacksmiths Bastion and the Weavers Bastion, and the gate in classicist style of the Horses Fair Street, built up between 1819-1820.
In close proximity of the south-western fortifications’ line of „Brasov’s Stronghold” there is the String’s Street, first mentioned in the historical documents in the XVIIth century. The narrow street, which width varies between 111 and 135 cm, used to represent originally the gap between two „decurie”, which means groups of ten houses each, specific to the medieval town planning system implemented inside the stronghold.
In 2003 the street was restored and enlightened, being included in the touring circuit as a peculiar attraction of the town.
|Mosharof @ 12/02/2016, 10:18|
|Will @ 15/01/2014, 16:14|