The Weavers Bastion

The linen Weavers Bastion has been erected between 1570-1573, around the tower built along with the first enclosure surrounding the town, in order to protect the southern corner of the Upper Walls, adapted for the firearms.  Considered today as the most spectacular and best conserved objective of defensive architecture of the medieval Brasov, the bastion has an irregular polygonal plan, adapted to the field configuration.  The walls, which thickness reaches 4,30 m at the basis, are penetrated at the first level by shooting holes for harquebuses and bombards, while at the superior floors, by simple shooting windows or in form of reversed keyhole and throwing gussets, corresponding to the three rows of defensive galleries with wooden parapet for the shooters.  The access inside the bastion was protected by a gate tower and an about 5 meters long passage, while towards Tampa hill there were erected two small watch towers, destined to the guard unit. 
In 1910, the objective was restored and became a museum.  Inside the guild’s festivities hall, built in 1800 in the interior court of the assembly, was setup in 1950 the Fortifications’ Museum of Tara Barsei (Barsa’s Land), which hosts documentary references ad three-dimensional materials unearthed by the systematic archaeological excavations, illustrating the connection between the defence system and the weaponry in the Middle Ages.  Along with the museum’s artefacts there are exhibited the mockeries of the “Braşov’s Stronghold” (1904) and of the Romanian neighbourhood of „Șchei” (1961), confectioned after some older images. 
Starting with 2002, the internal court of the Weavers’ Bastion became an outdoor scenery for the Opera’s representations.