The Saint Nicholas Church

The orthodox church Saint Nicholas of „Şcheii Braşovului”, dating back according the tradition to the XIIIth century, constituted across the time the most important centre for the spiritual, cultural and artistic life of the Romanians of Ţara Bârsei. The archaeological excavations and the testimonies contained in documents show that the actual assembly has been erected on the spot of certain wooden (1399) and stone (1440) constructions, using the donations of the princes of Moldavia and Greater Wallachia, the first among them being Neagoe Basarab (1512-1521). During Petru Cercel’s reign an open threshold was built, with arcades on pillars surmounted by an oratory on the western side; the constructions were decorated with paintings (1585). The works at the church have been continued by the Moldavian ruler Petru Aron, who erected the church’s tower (1594); among the founders ranks the prince Mihai Viteazul (Michael the Brave), whom votive canvas was renewed by Radu Zugravul (Radu the Painter), in 1694. From this period it was conserved the external facing of the aisle’s facades and the belfry-tower, specific to the architecture of Wallachia. 
The nowadays image of the church represents the result of the massive works carried on during the XVIIIth century from the initiative of the chronicler dean Radu Tempea IInd, when there were erected the extended nave of triconical plan (1740) and the two lateral oratories – Buna Vestire (The Annunciation) on the northern side (1733-1734) and Înălţarea Domnului (the Ascension of Our Lord) on the southern one (1750-1752). The assembly was decorated with mural paintings by Grigore Ranite of Craiova (1738-1740) and Ioan, Iancu, Constandin and Irimia (1752); those church painters used models elaborated by the School of Hurezi, the main centre of the post-Brancoveanu art.  In 1751 was built the clock tower, erected against the western side of the church, from the donation of tsarina Elisabeta Petrovna of Russia; other interventions were made at the expectations of the voivoides across the Carpathians, Grigore Ghica and Constantin Mavrocordat.
In 1940 and 1946, the old frescoes inside the church were replaced by a mural assembly signed the painter Costin Petrescu, while the iconostasis post-Brancoveanu habit of the XVIIIth century was donated to the church of Predeluţ.
Near the church there is the first Romanian school, which wooden building has been replaced by a stone construction, superposed in the XVIIIth century. Between 1556 and 1583, The Deacon Coresi printed at Brasov the biggest number of books in Romanian language of the XVIth century on the actual territory of the country. 
The assembly of Saint Nicholas Church is also constituted by Barac House, dating back to the XVIIIth century and the cells against the enclosure wall from the first part of the XIXth century, which hosts nowadays a museum complex established in 1961, housing witnesses of the culture and civilization of Scheii Brasovului, a unique collection of books (about 4000 tomes) and historical documents (around 30.000).